One of the greatest obstacles to maintaining your new founded healthy lifestyle changes may not be just your own inner motivation and willpower. It may go deeper than that and be completely out of your control. One of the biggest complaints that I consistently hear is the lack of support and positivity from surrounding people. Even though you are completely in charge of your own actions and reactions to situations, your outside influence can set the stage for how you ultimately choose to react. If you surround yourself with people who are naysayers and do not have the belief in you and your capabilities (or even support you while you are on track to getting healthier), then you may have less inner fire and determination to push through challenges when the going gets tough. On the other hand, when you are surrounded with positive folks who lift you up when you need it and who give you stepping stones along your healthy journey, obtaining your goals becomes so much easier, even when faced with obstacles. I am a very strong believer that you get what you give, meaning, that the more positive and optimistic you are, the more positive experiences and opportunities you attract into your life (and vice verse). So, if you are currently surrounded by less than optimal support and you feel that naysayers are pulling the wind from your sails, rest assured that there are steps you can take on your own to help keep your focus on moving forward AND to help start drawing more positive people towards you.
What can you do to motivate yourself?
9 actions you can do right now and 1 ultimate action to make it all seem so much easier:
- Create a morning routine before anyone else is awake. Creating a morning ritual is one of the most effective ways to set your intentions for the day and to set your mind frame for success. Waking up and exercising or meditating or positively creating your day, will get the positive ball rolling for a more successful and positive day. Plus, if there is nobody around to interrupt you or steal your focus, you are more likely to connect with yourself and your truest heart’s desires. It has been proven that in alone time, we are better able to create ourselves to be a better, whole, healthier person. Plus, this will give you time to prepare healthy foods, work on stress management tactics, and/or get your workout in.
- Positive affirmations spoken regularly. When we give ourselves regular uplifting talk and inner dialogue, that can change our entire viewpoint and approach to a situation. When in the face of a challenge or change, give yourself a pep talk and be your biggest cheerleader. Are you struggling to stick to your workout program? Multiple times a day you can say, ” I am strong and powerful and full of energy. My body feels so amazing from my workouts and I am looking fantastic because of all of my hard work.”
- Positive social support groups. Sometimes, the most positive and supportive people are not the closest people in our vicinity. We can not pick the family that we are born into and we can not control all the negativity that may surround you at work, but you can seek out positive reinforcement. Google search or check out your local newspaper for activities or groups that may share the same interests as you and/or are looking to create change in their own lives. When you have that support from like-minded people, you are going to be more likely to stay on track with your own goals.
- Journaling goals and tracking progress. Writing down your goals solidifies them into your reality. Getting them out of your head and onto paper makes them real and workable. But, it doesn’t stop here. You NEED to track your progress. Like driving to a far away destination, you can not get there without a road map and without tracking where you are along that road map. Start by writing one or two goals (i.e., ” I want to lose 20 lbs) and then brainstorming on how to do that and what your timeline looks like. As you progress, regularly track your progress and see what is working and what is not. It is a great way to keep you visually motivated and reminded how awesome you are doing!
- Limiting time around the energy vampires as often as possible. Energy vampires are just that – energy suckers of your soul and when they infect you, it can be that much harder to maintain your forward stride. I mean, how the heck can you get energy to workout if they sucked all your day’s energy from you? Limit your time as much as possible and, when that seems impossible, arm yourself with other tactics to get you through the interaction.
- Break down goals into small daily obtainable goals. Goals are vital to success, especially when it comes to improving your health. Too often, I see my clients getting totally overwhelmed by the big picture. I get overwhelmed by my big picture goals! So break them down. If you have a goal to lose 20 lbs in 3 months, start by breaking that down into monthly goals (i.e., 7 lbs or so per month), then into weekly goals (i.e., 4-5 days of exercise), then into daily goals (i.e., eat 2 extra servings of raw vegetables). Ahhh, that feels better already!
- Create nonfood related rewards periodically along your path and when achieving a goal. I don’t regularly suggest a reward for progress, but sometimes it helps to have a picture of your reward on your desk or a tangible object that can be a visual reminder of what your hard work can bring you. If this system works for you, go for it!
- Decrease your stress. Increased stress = decreased energy, tolerance, focus, and mental acuity. It also increases the hormone, cortisol, which can increase weight gain. Work to decrease your stress through meditation, journaling, positive socialization, exercise, hobbies, music, etc and put more focus into what completes you and gets your closer to staying true to yourself and your truest heart’s desires.
- Create a vision board. Vision boards are fantastic visuals to help you focus on exactly what you are working to obtain. You can do a life vision board and put on stimulating and colorful pictures of what you would like to achieve in this life and/or you can do a specific vision board for a certain area of your life. So, if you are looking to feel more energy and vitality, your vision board could revolve around your nutrition plans, exercise programs you want to try, how you want to look, what kind of clothing you want to buy, how your feel inside, what your spirituality looks like – all the little things that will fulfill what having “more energy and vitality” means to you.
- Work on acceptance of yourself and believing that you are an amazing, capable person. This is really what it all comes down to. When we do not believe in ourselves and accept who we truly are – the unique and incredible individual – we fail to allow ourselves to make permanent change. Searching out to others for acceptance and encouragement and still believing that you can not succeed will never truly allow yourself to succeed in anything. Start by focusing on what is inside you. What are your strengths and what are your weaknesses? What are your fears and what is holding you back? What subconscious tactics do you do to set yourself up for failure? What blocks your flow and your energy? All of these are keys to working through because when you get to know yourself and accept yourself and TRUST yourself, then you will truly be able to sever the binding ties to what other people think and believe of you. So, start with inner work journaling, talk to trusted friends for support and advice, go to a counselor, meditate, learn how to be mindful and grounded, and search out knowledge to help you grow and learn as a person. I believe in you!
Remember, people often criticize others when they are afraid to make changes and live out their own dreams. It is easier to be critical and negative than to make positive change, even when, in the long run, you will feel happier and healthier and have more energy. So, be the minority. Be that person to help inspire yourself and others to make changes and to live their dreams. Get healthier for YOU and remember that you can achieve whatever you put your mind and focus to. You are truly great and can accomplish more than your mind could ever imagine!
ACTION STEP: Take action now! Brainstorm how you can maintain your consistency despite what others tell you. What steps above can you start implementing today? Make a plan so that you can put them into action when the time is right. I want you to comment below or email me through my website, Facebook, or Twitter and tell me all about it.
Do you have other tactics that work for you that were not mentioned above? I want to hear all about it! Live your life with passion and purpose…
Did you like what you read? If so, then get yourself over to http://www.tansyrodgers.com and sign up for my FREE newsletter. That’s how you receive my newsletters to your inbox and get to hear first hand about deals, news, and exciting new events that I only share with my newsletter subscribers!